4.26.2016

Extra curricular activities, cranbrook, holy week.

It's been forever since I blogged and even longer since I thought carefully about a number of things.

I have been realizing just how much I love sitting at home and having breakfast with my family. I have this year been doing 4 meals per week not with my family. 3 breakfasts and 1 supper. I am doing 6 extra curricular music things. 4 school groups and 2 community groups. That's a lot of time outside the timetable, away from my family. I love spending time with my family. We bike a lot, there's a creek nearby to take the kids to for fishing. tidying up around the house and planning garden and chicken things with Laurenn. Doing firewood, tying flies. There's a lot to do at our house and I have been so focused on these career/work related things that I don't have enough time for my family or to sit still and take a bit of time for myself, which ends up not being great for everything else. I tend to do this, spread myself too thin. I think next year I will do much less extra curricular. I didn't want to change everything right away with the way the school was set up, but I know that I can do it differently now. It wasn't a bad setup, but I want to do it differently. Anywho, it will be good to be able to have breakfast with the family more often. We have these great windows to look out at the mountains. Here they are farther than when we were in fernie, but closer than when I lived in the mainland. 20K maybe.
Pascha is coming and I have seen all of this spreading myself too thin as a part of an overarching pattern of doing things that are satisfying to myself but are detrimental to my family. this is generally called selfishness. That was such a clinical sentence, but it's true. I do what I want. I try to make my family do what I want so that I am spending time with them while getting to do what I want, but it would probably be good if I did what they wanted to do. It's a work in process.
It's funny too, I feel like I haven't sat down and had one of these out loud self reflection moments since before I had kids. Not in this way. Not in the keyboard to narrative way.
An old st hermans friend is in cranbrook for a while, so that is nice. Hoping to have more old st hermanites around this summer. And I can't wait to go fishing. Oh how I love flyfishing. More and more each time I go. I look forward to teaching the kids to do it. (see ;)

A blessed holy week to you all!

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

it's hard to have moments of reflection when life gets busier/we get older. God bless you and your family!