1.19.2013

On thinking too much

Today I told my mom about the video for a song called 'Thrift Shop' and if you haven't seen it and can handle a few f#@* bombs, it is BRILLIANT.

And then I am watching hockey, and overthinking it too. some days I realize that its just a habit that I think and I hem and haw and wonder if it really is worth it, or a good way to spend time, but what would I do alternatively? watch TV?  And what is national identity? Am I really a Canadian, and should I really be embracing that? should I find my identity so strongly in the church that I ignore things like professional sports? and then there is downhill skiing and snowboarding, one of the best mountains in the world is 2km away, and we could get our kids into these expensive sports, but should we? so many questions that I think are answered by preference rather than divine will or any sort of explicit expectation, as long as it is done in the right spirit.

Life is so different here. We are becoming different people, more our own, but do I want to be who I am becoming without the influence of beautiful holy people that I left behind? and what influences am I  ensuring will continue to push me in the right direction? At the moment, Dave Ramsey and William Lane Craig. Monthly liturgy in cranbrook with people I like and respect, but that is much different than living at church.

There are things I know I love to do, and there are things that I can basically take or leave. I loved spending so much time hunting this past fall. The silence, being alone, and being with animals, interacting (mostly scaring them away)
I love kitchen dance parties with the kids, wrestling downstairs in the playroom.
I love singing. church.
my job is pretty great.

I think snowboarding is really really fun, but I could probably take or leave it, like hockey, which I enjoy, especially with others, but won't be sad if I miss a game, or a season.


It made me very happy when Z wanted to read the kids church book again tonight. And the french book. Both made me feel pretty good.

4 comments:

Victoria said...

hm. big questions. hard questions. we are asking ourselves about what moving would be like. would it be good for the boys? not sure. I don't think so. even though I long for some adventuring.

we miss you guys a lot. we hope to make a drive out there soon.

elizabeth said...

these are hard things; community is so important... Lord help us all!

biss said...

Find your identity in Christ!

and pleeeeeease come home soon!

RW said...

hey David.
I have been out of touch with everyone save for my iphone which makes it a bit difficult.
Hang in there.

I hear what you are saying.
For what its worth - the lower mainland and its economic environment is overrated.

we do miss you though.