6.16.2012

Belonging/Visiting/Home

I am in the middle of something strange,

I am busy here, I spend lots and lots of time with my family, which is great. More than before, sort of. We do more things, we went for a hike waay up in the mountains yesterday, took our sweet mini van offroading, sort of. Saw lots of evidence of Elk and even a little evidence of bears, (not large ones)
played in some snow, and enjoyed nature generally.

We are all sick of this little apartment that is a suitable roof for two months, and we are sick of not being at home. But then, what is home? We are planning to uproot, and to live in a community that we will have no visible orthodox community. We will have christian friends (come hell or high water) because there are churches in town and I plan to begin an open house or a theology and beer chat night, which will start with the canonization of the new testament and lead up to why everyone should be orthodox and in the middle is 'doesn't this winter ale taste great?'

Honestly there are some great unknowns on the horizon. I recently purchased a hunting rifle, and I am so excited to go hunting this fall. This place is overrun with wild game just waiting to be eaten. (note to A, I plan to leave the bunnies alone) but there are deer, elk, moose, mountain sheep etc all over the place here. Its quite amazing. Anyways, hopefully I will be skillful and  enough to bring one or two home this fall to fill our freezer for the year.

So my neck gets redder every day, and I do like it here. Z and I spent 7 hours at the local civic celebration today, he loved the bouncy castles and I loved the butter chicken, the parade was fun and the strongman competition was loud. A few of my students played with their folk band The Good Ol Goats. It was a long busy day and all sorts of fun.

So I miss home, and then I am getting ready to leave yet again. I have moved away from St Hermans and Vancouver twice before, and now we are doing it again. I am curious to find out how long it will last. I know we will be back, but when and for how long? Lord have mercy.

I know my liver and my lungs will get a rest in Fernie, even though I am sure GF and co will send us off with a true test of their mettle.


I will take pictures of my view the next time I am there. It's unbelievable.



See you in two weeks!



3 comments:

elizabeth said...

thinking of you and family...

TeresaAngelina said...

Just back from a jaunt through the boundry country...saw 13 deer...they tell me they only show up to those without the long fire sticks. But very grateful on behalf of the lapin world that to them at least you shall not be one of the 1000. They visit my backyard...in Surrey...which is truly in the back woods.

Keep safe. And, you are very much missed!

Victoria said...

road trips my dear friends.
road trips.