2.12.2010

Olympics

So I have been wondering why everyone on the news talks about getting emotional about seeing the torch, about the games etc. I am excited to watch hockey, of course, and all sorts of fun events like biathlon and skeleton. seriously.
but this morning, I am watching a bit of the torch relay on tv and may have realized why people get emotional. I honestly think that the olympics, while entertaining and enjoyable, is a large spectacle of idolatry. I know, I know, WAY over top, fine. Like I said, I am looking forward to said spectacle.
But, this morning, I think I realized that it could be gratitude for living in canada that makes people so excited about this. I am sure there are a variety of reasons people are excited, but what it made me realize is just how grateful I am to live in Canada. I think that it is a good thing that I live somewhere in the 90th percentile (just a guess) of Socioeconomic standards of living, even when I feel like I don't have a ton of money, I still have way more than most people in the world. Hot water comes out of my tap, I can go to university (over and over and over...)we have mountains, sushi, salmon in the rivers, and a beautiful ferry ride where I might see whales happens so often that it annoys me.
I don't care if we win any medals, but dang I love living in Canada.

3 comments:

Donna Farley said...

And how about that 'Believe' slogan. Not even subtle.

Victoria said...

me too.

Gelu said...

"Do you believe?"
Might be a call to recognize a sixth sens: believing, the faith. (Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed - John 20,29)
Or at least to soften peoples' perception of faith, of believing.