11.12.2009

The Poor pt II

I appreciate the discussion that the last post caused, and hopefully this will clarify.

Matthew 25, like the rest of the Bible, is incredibly important. Most of Jesus' life was spent dealing with poor people, talking about money, and getting people to understand the connection between how the spent their money (and time) and what that revealed about their soul. Matthew 6 also focuses on that briefly, basically saying that its your actions that matter. Just like 1 Cor. 13. Nobody, (well, some of us actually are swayed by words) but almost nobody cares what you or I say, but our actions are really what matter. This is why a blog, while interesting and perhaps an enjoyable way to pass time and stay connected, is not a way to measure anything of substance or significance. (generally, I know there are some really good things written down, like, the Bible, the fathers, etc, this is not a critique of writing per se)
That said (written) the point I was trying to make is that when we minister to the poor, I think we need to think deeply and carefully about that. How, why, what, when, who, where etc. We shouldn't spend so much time contemplating our options that we never do anything, and I am all for giving a random guy on the street the food in my front seat as we stop at the red light (vancouver+pandora anyone?) Just a simple, stringless gift. but if we are going to make an organized concerted effort that is meant to represent the Love of God, why should it have any less of a foundation in history than the way we do the rest of our life in Christ?
I don't think we should ignore the poor, I think we should love them, just like the Bible teaches, because God loves the poor and needs arms and hands (well, not really, but we are supposed to do it) but lets do it thoughtfully. How can we do it best? I think slowly and deeply, in relationships that will last and allow for loving confrontation on both sides, just like in any other relationship.
IN FACT< I just had a bit of a eureka moment, I think part of the problem is when we look at any group as an 'other' it continues the marginalization (I am guilty with my posting titles) if we call someone 'other' they are not our brother. So by looking at poor people and seeing them as poor, they are not even eligible for brotherhood. But if we are less intentionally directed towards one group, perhaps everyone would feel welcome at our table for a meal.

No comments: