6.26.2009

travelling

We have had an amazing trip, fantastic hosts, great visits, good food, great sights. It is good.

we landed in toronto, and spent a bit of time with pekka and anita, who I haven't seen for a while, but it was great to visit, we had a great conversation and the food was fantastic too. breakfast was awesome. I loved the coffee. oh. I have become more of a coffee drinker. I have been doing all the driving, so sometimes I needed to stop for caffeine, which is unheard of for me, because I have been so sensitive to coffee in the past, but these days I have been having a lot of iced coffee, regular coffee in the mornings, and it doesn't even keep me awake that long in the car. we forgot our ipod, so we don't have much music with us,I buurned a cd at matthew and cheryl's house in ottawa so we aren't totally without tunes.
we stayed with matthew and cheryl in ottawa for four days, and it was awesome. we had so much fun and such a good time. we had a sweet bbq, good ontario beer, a good time at church, we even got to hang out with the eisenpletts before and after they played a few gigs.
we spent a few days in sudbury, zeke had his first sauna, we swam in the lake, and we visited a bunch of my finnish relatives.
I can't even remember it all.
oh, in ottawa we got to see my friend Robyn from Grad School, and that was cool too. I kept on looking for a pedicab, but to no avail. we rented a two person side by side bike when we were in old montreal, which was beautiful. we ate poutine and smoked meat in old montreal, and it was fantastic.
In montreal, they have this bike rental system bixi.ca and it is amazing. I have been saying outrageous all the time, but I like it. anyways, the bike rental thing in montreal is so great. I rented a sweet bike from a machine at one end of town, and returned it to the other end of town, it was like what I hear amsterdam is like, but a little more official. It worked out great, and we say Jer and Sher play in a little place called L'escalier on Fete St. Jean Baptiste and it was great to hear them, to speak french to the locals, (who really like their music) and to be there for the big national holiday.
we then went to kingston, which we didn't see much of, but had a good time with our cousins, and now we are in london, waiting for the family reunion in Elmira. I really didn't capture it all, but pictures that will come will help explain how much fun we have been having.
Oh, and we got to hang out at the Dn. Gregory Scratch's house with his lovely wife, kids, and friends. I love having the church community.

and, I love the people we have seen, and I am having fun, but I am also missing my home, our church, and friends back on the west coast. I also look forward to starting summer classes. I have never taken summer classes before, so it will be fun.

Bonne St. Jean Baptiste!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

wow! jealous of you being in montreal. and seeing matthew and cheryl and john, and the scratches.
sounds wonderful.
will we see you at la hacienda jordan for la fete national?

elizabeth said...

fun. it was great to meet your little one! safe travels back; hope summer school is good; the summer class I took was intense but good. :)

Callie said...

It looked like you ATE poutine and SMOKED meat in Montreal... I was imagining you both with large meat filled hoagies held in your hands like cigars.

kimberley francis said...

that's awesome that you're getting to hang out with jere and sher along the way too. this big country of ours isn't so big.

safe travels you three, see you back on this end hopefully sometime soon, xoxoxo