6.08.2009

Ontario/DMB/Gabe

We are going to Ontario soon, and I am very excited to see my relatives. I like them, they are good people. I lived in Ontario briefly, it was more like an extended visit, but it was still good. I am also looking forward to a vacation, I think this will be our first real vacation, though it will still be challenging, because we are taking baby on the plane. we are also going to ottawa to visit old friends, and having a family reunion in Kitchener. it will be good.

in other news, the new Dave Matthews Band Album is fantastic. It lives up to the hype and more. There's a great line in one of the songs "Baby when I get home, I wanna believe in Jesus" and it confirms what I have suspected all along, that He is kind of like Ghandi and Neitzsche, (two strange bedfellows if ever there were) who seemed to revere Christ, but couldn't reconcile the behaviour of people like me with the perfection that Jesus was, and I get that, a little bit, because I think the same way, why are Christians so dumb! I mean, I include myself in that. and I think it's partially the perfectionist in me that expects better, but at the same time, there has to be room for Grace, which is the whole point, right?

So in an earlier song, Dave Matthews is singing "Grace is all I'm askin" I think perhaps he needs to extend that to himself and a few others and maybe he'll find what he is looking for.
anyways, the album is beautiful, it is powerful and vulnerable. Dwelling on themes of life and death and sex, as a true frat boy existentialist should, and he does it convincingly, finally, after three albums that sound too poppy and fake. I believe the things he is agonizing over, specifically the loss of their friend and band mate last year. "Lying in the Hands of God" is an especially gorgeous track.

its good. buy it.



oh, and Gabe, good for you, you seem to be pounding it out, balling as it were, keep it up. we miss you like crazy, and I have been waiting for that little tidbit. take pictures, write us a story, on your blog, or in an email, find a moment on a day off. hit up the library like a good treeplanter. Glad to hear you are kickin ass and taking names!

4 comments:

RW said...

Hmm. I will check out the new music.

Enjoy your vacation.

elizabeth said...

Sounds good. I heard the word Ottawa in this post. I will check with C&Z about this. Safe travels and best wishes. My small prayers for your travels.

biss said...

The perfectionist in you?!? Really?

:)

pasivirta said...

Yeah, we will be staying with the Z clan, so maybe we'll see you when we are out there!

and thanks Biss... :)