1.17.2009

wrestling with my food culture/consumption...

lately I have been realizing that I wrestle with things that are much more subtle. When I was younger, the things that taunted me and haunted me were much more exciting and intoxicating, literally. I wasn't really bothered by food, but now it seems it is becoming a much larger issue to me. I am recognizing that my state of being, that is, having and being a body, or and embodied creature, is often changed and affected by what I put inside it. I always knew this, we all know this, but it is coming to the fore through the yoga that I am doing. It is kind of like tree planting in that I am SO aware of how my body reacts to blood sugar maintenance. When I was planting, I could tell almost to the minute when my blood sugar would drop, and I would need to eat oatmeal bars or something every hour or so to keep going. Its not as all day as it was, but I find that I don't like being as full as is my habit. I don't like how I feel when I am so full, but its hard to not make myself eat more than I need, its hard to know how much I need, especially when transitioning between activity and inactivity, and from seasons without exercise to seasons with it. I also find that I sleep better when I am more hydrated, which means, after drinking beer or any other alcohol (which I can now spell properly) or even smoking a clove (perhaps especially) I have a poor sleep. Yoga is also dehydrating, so I keep drinking lots of water. It's interesting to notice all of these things. Meat too is hard to digest, and because I am not exerting myself all day I don't need to have heavy proteins that are hard to digest. If I were shoveling concrete (THANK GOD I don't do that anymore)I would eat salmon sandwiches. This is all a roundabout long way of saying that when I am honest with myself, I really feel better in general when I don't drink, smoke, or eat meat. But I wrestle with it because it seems like in some way those things are celebratory, but is that a cultural thing? Is that a consumerist culture, a canadian culture, a west coast orthodox culture, or...


Also, there was a tradition of ending up at a good friend's apartment and drinking Pilsner (shudder:) and eating fish. and of course, he would bust out the pickles and vodka. I know. Don't ask. anyways. It's just different here, I don't know why. Someone, who will remain unnamed, suggested that the langley crowd is more blue collar, and I kind of laughed because I don't think that is the case, although I guess I see why they said that. But if my langley crew's collars are blue, they are taking intellectual books to their shop. psh. blue collar. If anything, it's a compliment.

anyways. maybe I just need a spine so I can stand on my own and do the things I know are right. The problem is when these things aren't legislated either way by the church, which perhaps is my answer. It's not a black and white issue, which is why maybe its okay to wrestle with myself over it. Maybe its physical health and relating to others, in which case because we are supposed to take care of ourselves first (like in a plane crash) It would be about getting the most air to my lungs, and then looking around and seeing who is with me. If nothing else, maybe God is there.



(this post was edited a tiny bit)

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

I did not even realize I was raised in a blue collar enviroment growing up - we all went to private Christian schools and I was reading C.S. Lewis' nonfiction by age 13/14... so I hear you on that....

it is a challenge to eat well and to understand what changes will bring health to us.

as always, appreciate your thoughts. take good care.

matushkadonna said...

The Lord tells us to be more concerned about what comes out of our mouths than what goes into them.
Matt. 15:11

and that is, um...food for thought! :-)

pasivirta said...

mmmm. yes, so so true.