12.17.2008

Interpretation and Hot Yoga

I can't remember the last time I talked about this, perhaps as recently as last post. but I simply have to get my thoughts out there, and thoughts that may be read are more likely to be coherent and logical. no guarantees though.

Orthodox Christians have a particular interpretive lens which shapes their scope of the world. we understand things a certain way because we are Orthodox christians. Protestant christians have a particular worldview, as do Roman Catholic christians.

Great. we all have particular things we disagree about. but at least we have in common that we understand and acknowledge that we all have a very particularworldview, and that it is through that worldview that we come to understand the bible, history, church fathers, faith, the church, saints, eucharist, meals, alcohol(only one H?), friendship, marriage, cars, hockey, competition, sin, photography, art, music, commerce, finance, politics, etc etc. What really grinds my gears is Christian people who say to me "we are just reading the bible and doing what it says" as though there was not a particular interpretive lens at work, but rather pure knowledge without form was being transmitted to the souls of disembodied believers who then do exactly what God intended when he grabbed the apostle Paul's hand and held it while Paul scrawled out letters, just like in HEROES when they look into the future and their eyes go white and they are in a trance. St. Paul was the first practitioner of Christian Transcendental Meditation, he was meditating on the transcendence of God and then woke and found he had written half of the new testament. how to disseminate it? another time. ANYWAYS. please, just acknowledge your sources of interpretive bias. honestly. If pentecostals and vineyard and Benny effing Hinn are all reading the bible without interpreting it, then why do you all disagree so severely, and still end up on the same side of the spectrum of historical interpretation?

I went to hot yoga today, and it is a very interesting experience. This is the other reason I must write this down. I think it will help me to be more focused and disciplined, which will make me a better person, and, Lord have mercy, a better Father. For a second I felt like I was cramming, "OH! I have an exam coming! (baby) I better go and...be a good person (become disciplined)"
but then after that second passed, I continued to enjoy the really intense workout that really did require and I think build focus. It's kind of like singing in a choir, rather directing a choir, because there are SO many different aspects of each pose to focus on, let alone remembering to breath when your lungs and diaphragm are all so crunched up. but it surely is an endorphin junkie's happy place. as long as the pseudo spirituality doesn't get you all up in arms, I think it can be a good practice, especially during the fast. it is snowing out. Its been trying to for a while, but the rain has been winning. anyways, Yoga has spiritual aspects, but everything has spiritual aspects unless you are a gnostic, so, relax. I think the key is when they start talking about focusing, and not letting things come to mind, interpret that in a christian manner. Okay, no logismoi. focus. okay. Jesus prayer. stretch, twist, pain, my body isn't really meant for this, is it? harder, breathe, stretch, okay, relax, listen to some crazy sanskrit words that make it all eastern mystic-ish, whatever. It's good. I have a two week unlimited pass, and I am going again tomorrow. It's all about interpretation. remember that that is what we do, we interpret, and we teach our kids to interpret. clean your interpretive lens. go to church. do prostrations, they are the first of the Christian Yoga moves.

5 comments:

Widgetokos said...

Sounds fun-- hot yoga I mean. "cept I can't do it while pregnant. I wanted to do pregnancy yoga but the psuedo-spirituality crap scares the testes off Greg so he won't even consider letting me try it. Mostly I just wanted to get in shape and scare away my varicose veins or something. Deal with the stress of having a terrible two year-old and being fat and lethargic and hormonal. Truthfully though I think I personally ought to be a bit nervous about psuedo-spirituality when Im in such a fragile mental and emotional state. I'm rubbish at prayer as it is and it may end up being more of a trap. But I'm trying to figure out how to stay healthy and happy and pray better while pregnant without putting myself in situations that could potentially open the wrong doors. Funny...

Simply Victoria said...

I've always wanted to do yoga, but our choices in the wack are rather limited. if there is yoga somewhere, it's at the ymca. I could try that, but it's usually scheduled in the morning and tailored for retirees.
maybe in langley...

FDK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Francis said...

David,
I think you should watch this clip before continuing on with your hot yoga regime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_34SH8jVec

Informative, and very funny as well. Apparently there is now a "Christian" version of yoga (same postures without the Hindu philosophies) - called... wait for it... "Praise Moves." Ha!

Krista and Basil did a "Mom and Baby Yoga" this Fall class and found it pretty fun and enjoyable. Plus, yoga is one of the few exercises that you can do totally for free, wherever you want.

elizabeth said...

Yoga is always something I have a hard time artiuculating my views about. I have one former classmate who is into it in extreme ways.

I have a friend who I have known since, well, 12 years now and she knows Hindi (fluently) and when she went to Yoga she realized immediately that the chants are Hindi prayers as she knows the language...

but then there are the videos that appear to be for suburban women who want to do excercises they can actually do...

seems to be all kinds.

worth keeping in touch with your spiritual father about....