10.16.2008

music education.

I am taking education classes right now, and it is interesting. I have just started a blog for one of the classes. but the other one is a Jazz Pegagogy class, and I have to improvise a solo today.

I don't like solo performance, philosophically speaking. Today we talked about world music, and there was a brief mention of how in Ghana there is no such thing as the observer, but everyone participates. Its kind of like that in the orthodox church, there really is not a distinction between performer and observer. The priest leads us all, and we are all both producers and consumers, if I may be so crass. we all sing, we all pray, and we all partake in the gifts. I think that is the ideal, as then it can't be about monetary exchange, because nobody is receiving anything from anyone that wasn't produced by all.
In the places I used to come from, there was a clear distinction between those who produced the music and those who responded to it. I mean, we have a choir who leads, and maybe it is unfair to cast such a stone at the past, but our culture leans so far towards the economic model of performer and consumer, separated by the direction of the flow of money.

I think music should be a participatory situation, where all are engaged in some way. I don't like egalitarianism, I like the way that humility suggests that we all know our abilities and can contribute in one way or another. This is played out (theoretically) well in church, where the musicians sing, the priest prays and preaches, the subdeacons light candles and clean things, readers read, etc.

everyone has a role to play, nobody should be bored or unengaged. I think that if you are going to church and are not doing something, you should be. those who are just learning, that is a little different, but it is the work of the people, and if you aren't working, someone else is doing your share.


Time for class.

No comments: