10.09.2008

behaviourism, work.

So,I work in a place that is behaviourist. I Think that is a word, and it bothers me. I mean, I like the people I work with, on all sides, but I don't like how behaviourism only looks at behaviour. I think that it is narrow minded to look at someone with only one lens.
Sometimes, tests that are supposed to provide irrefutable empirical evidence are shown to be faulty. we had a situation where a test said one thing, but then the client indicated a different thing, which indicated to me that the test itself was faulty.
I hate running, my knees hurt when I run, I would much rather ride my bike. we have to run at work.

If God judged us only on our behaviour, and not at all on our motivations, we would have to live in an explicitly legalistic world. But, God being loving enters into a kind of knowing that is relational. don't ask me to explain it. and I think that is the point, it is hard to explain the nature of relating to a person and knowing them. There is a hebrew word that I can't remember that means "to know" that is translated as "lie with" we colloquially joke by saying "knew her in a biblical sense"
I think that really knowing someone means that you look past behaviour, or you take everything into account, not just behaviour, which, while important, is only one aspect of a persons being.
I will say that I see it as an effective tool for teaching people who are non verbal, because it ends up circumventing the need for spoken language, and instead gives symbolic meaning and value to actions.

So, while I acknowledge that ABA has a lot to offer a lot of people who are disabled, and also can help us teach babies things before we can communicate with them (like toilet training, we can talk about that later) I think that it can't be seen as a whole worldview.

No comments: