5.16.2006

Old and New

Old things are gone, all things are become new. but wait, I like old things! I am just finding out about the beauty of age, and how time creates true value. instant gratification wears out pretty quickly, so why bother?

It has been very hot today, I even took a cold shower, and I was hot again as soon as my hair wasn't soaking wet. like living in a furnace. I love it though, rather I will learn to love it. I rode my bike today, and that was great.

I was talking to Bonnie the other day, and she reminded me about the beauty of orthodoxy in that it is messy. we revel and are revealed by in and for messiness. incense, candles, music, oil, wine, bread, smoke, fire, water, wind, dark, light, hot and cold, church is full of awkward moments where we fumble towards beauty. I got wax on an icon, and its okay.

Graham is having an interesting discussion about the passions on his blog, matushka Donna and cathedral dweller said some good things there too.

I now only have my thesis left to write in order to complete my degree. that is a weird thought. life is so strange and full of options. I had a great talk with fr. Michael today, we were talking about how often people spend so much time trying to figure out what it is they are supposed to do, when really we should just be doing what is in front of us and doing it well, and letting the distant future figure itself out. God knows. we don't have to worry. I am learning to just deal with what is in front of me without letting next year get in the way. Matthew 6 has a lot of good things to say about that.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

we revel and are revealed by in and for messiness. incense, candles, music, oil, wine, bread, smoke, fire, water, wind, dark, light, hot and cold, church is full of awkward moments where we fumble towards beauty. I got wax on an icon, and its okay.

I love this, thank you.

Good luck on the thesis.

Timmybomb said...

Dude, thank you for again pointing out that it's okay to focus on the life we are living in the here and now. Sometimes I feel pressured to reach into the future and drag it into the present.

Anastasia said...

wax on an icon is okay. lipstick is not.

bay leaves on the floor are okay. pews are not.

RJ said...

You cool, daddy-o. I appreciate your fine sense of humour and wit. I miss it. To the Yukon. I quit my job today and it was awesome.

Linty said...

I like that. (The messy bit.)

Recently I have been liking Stuff very much. Like food and seeds and water and soap.