5.14.2006

mom

I love my mom.

I was so terrible to her for ever when I was young. I didn't ever want to practice my violin, so we fought over it almost every day. Now I love that she made me do it, and I cried when I had to quit. dumb kid. but she loved me despite the fact that I treated her so miserably. she loved my selfishness. goodness.

then, when I was in high school, she would wake up at like 530 and make fresh muffins for me and the other guys that we picked up to be at choir at 700 am. we were there every day, and almost every day we had hot muffins out of the oven on the way to school at 640. It was amazing. I took it for granted too. she has always been amazing in the kitchen, and she cooks well because she is cooking for people she loves. her family, our friends. one time, the guys were over to play risk (settler's of the 90's) and at about 1am, she asked if we wanted biscuits. she made us biscuits and they were ready at like 130 am. my parents are night owls, and my mom is crazy. Anytime I needed a place to bring friends after the symphony, or a choir concert, I could call home and she would make us biscuits. they are famous. and blueberry squares too.

right, I forgot. before choir early in the morning, she would pour a cup of water on my face to wake me up and get my pillow wet so I couldn't sleep. it was the most infuriating thing in the world, but then I was up and on time for choir, which was a good thing. I learned discipline (well, began to) from this. or maybe I learned to rely on others. hmmmm. I don't know. whatever the case, I got to choir on time.


mostly, its what I said at the beginning. I was a jerk, and my mom loved me despite that. sure, we argued, but I never doubted her love. which amazed me the more I figured it out, because I couldn't wait to get out of the house and be away from them. Now I love hanging out with them of course, but I guess its because we are friends and I don't have to practice my violin.

whatever the case, I am glad that Dad picked mom, and that she said yes. I am who I am because of them, and I like being me, its fun, rich, and challenging.


THANKS MOM! I LOVE YOU!

7 comments:

Ed Doerksen said...

Great tribute to your mother Dave. I am so glad that I met your parents when I was at Trinity. Take care Dave.

Mimi said...

Happy Mother's Day to your mom. What a great tribute.

Anastasia said...

my mother used to pour water on me to wake me up. it didn't work. i was impossible to break as a child. my parents could have tortured me and still....nothing.

Linty said...

I think Mom never poured water on me, but I remember her standing over me with a cup full of water, giggling as she dipped her fingers in it and then flicked me with little droplets. Yeah, to wake me up.

And I must have really given her a hard time when I cried over my violin, begging to quit. "I don't want to be a musician! I only ever wanted to be a writer! Waaaah!" This when I was eight. Thankfully, I was not allowed to quit, and I was never terribly rebellious so it never occurred to me to just stop playing. And ... well ... now I'm a musician ...

Paul said...

I love that your mom poured water on your face! I'm going to try that at my place.

Simply Victoria said...

I think I'd like your mom.

Timmybomb said...

That was beautiful man. Packed with memories. I think your mom is awesome. My mother would bring me orange juice in bed in order to get me up. Now my wife does the same thing (with grapefruit juice). Dependent on others? Perhaps, but it works for me...