5.03.2006

Gas prices and something else, oh yeah, the god of efficiency

I forget the second thing right now, but first, I think maybe we should be paying more for gas. we would drive less, and the impact on the environment would be less devastating. I have enjoyed driving less the last week or so. I haven't left langley in a long time. partially because of Gas prices, I don't go to vancouver as often. I think we take our cars and cheap gas for granted, but when gas gets really expensive, many more people will consider busses, carpools, bicycles, and other ways of getting around. It will be healthy for everyone involved. It could also push hydrogen cars, biodiesel and other things to be developed faster.

Instead of fighting for lower gas prices, I think we should have higher gas prices.

In other news, I am once again realizing I am going to fast, not smelling the roses, spreading too thin. This is one of my constant struggles, to be conscious of not overcommitting, not saying I will do a) b) c) and d) all at the same time, and then forgetting about one, ignoring the other hoping for grace and doing a poor job at the one I finally get to.

One of the things I love about orthodoxy is that it teaches us experientially that things of value take a lot of time. I realize that in order to learn and grow and experience something that is worth cherishing, it takes a lot of time and must be done slowly. I say this, and I know that I am not always practicing it, but being aware of it helps I think. I love that we repeat things in church, three times even though we have already done them three times earlier in the service, because it is not about efficiency, but about holiness. Efficiency is not out God, Jesus is. I have to fight to remember that.

So today, I am going to calmly start a paper for this weekend, get my window fixed and maybe a little more on my car.


In the slow, breathe deeply sense of the word, be at peace today.

6 comments:

Matthew Francis said...

Thanks for this David.

So true: "things of value take a lot of time."

On the gas issue, I agree wholeheartedly. But don't worry. It's only a matter of time. I was at a conference recently where this prof. from the U of T., Richard Gilbert, gave compelling evidence that gas will most likely be around $4 per litre at the pump in the next 5-10 years. This was a conference of civic planners, and his pitch basically was that all of our planning should take this spike in gas prices into account. It shouldn't be our 'plan b.'

So he emphasized alternate transportation, particularly "grid-based" vehicles like trolley buses, etc. (But, of course, cycling and walking are premium). He was also talking about the Edmonton-Calgary High Speed Electric train project that's been talked about in Alberta for a long time. The amazing thing is that our last year's Provincial surplus could have TOTALLY paid the bill for this 8 billion dollar project!
It would have to be carefully done to preserve the agricultural landscape along that corridor, but it is still amazing to me that we do not have the foresight and vision here to do something this bold and obviously good.

Which makes me think again of your original post. In order to say "yes," to things that really matter, we must be able to say "no" to a whole host of other things that compete for our time, focus, and energy. So perhaps Alberta just has other priorities right now... but the big question is: what happens when gas is $4 per litre? Perhaps that question is a bit of a symbol for what goes on in our lives...

Matthew Francis said...

Here are some interesting observations on the same theme from my friend Mark's blog:

Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, the Emir of Dubai between 1958 – 1971 and 1979-90, had a saying: "My Grandfather rode a camel, my father road a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel."

Here's Mark's interpretation:

"In this saying is the key to Dubai’s success. If the economy is simply based on oil then the success won’t last as the oil must run dry. He and his son, Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who ruled between 1971-79 and 1990 – 2006, set up a successful economy that looked far beyond the oil booms. They were responsible for transforming Dubai from being a small fishing and trade port centred at the mouth of Dubai Creek, to being an economic and commercial powerhouse in the Middle East."

biss said...

I have to write a paper this weekend too. Uhhhhgg. I am SO tired.

Ed Doerksen said...

We have had the technology for electric cars, hydrogen engines, and more, that our dependancy on oil porducts could have deminished ten, even twenty years ago.

The desire and demands of the public has to over ride the controls of the car producers in order for these vehicles to come into being.

I love your concept of taking things one at a time and in peace and slowness. Good luck on your paper. Take care buddy.

kimberley said...

I really agree so much too.

Spreading myself so thin geographically has really taken it's toll on me in the last few years. My old VW has been showing similar signs of fatigue, logging sometimes 500kms a week, heading out to Langley and Chilliwack so much. It's sure been nice to leave my car parked alot more and opt rather to walk. Some weekends it gets to rest all weekend.

But renewal is coming, and staying closer to home has been wonderful in many ways. God always provides abundantly.

sarah g. said...

Like our bishop always says, "In the Church we are concerned with Quality, not Quantity!"