4.27.2006

Beauty

I am so loving the new beauty that I find in people I meet through orthodoxy. sure, there are pretty girls around, but that is not what I mean at all.

I love that beauty is so different, and its hallmarks are things like grey hair and wrinkles, elbow patches and long beards. not because these things are great in themselves, but they signal age, and age wisdom, and wisdom beauty.
talking to a girl the other day, she was so excited to find herself having a couple of grey hairs. I think that is beauty, because she knows that beauty is not just a thing about how you look, but who you are, which becomes formed over time. with age comes beauty, because we are able to walk closer to God the longer we walk.
I look at Father Gregory in Gibsons, or Father John Scratch, and they are such beautiful old men. there is no other word than beauty to describe them, they communicate the love of God with the fiery laughter in their eyes and bellies, and you can't deny God when you meet them. this happens with age, and when people recognize that and long for it, that too is beautiful.

I honestly think that is why I like smoking a pipe and drinking scotch, it is a thing that old people do. I want to be old and grey, because then I will be wise, even if I am also wizened, perhaps beauty will find me then.

Sure, I notice girls who are pretty, but if they start talking, that can be dangerous for all involved. but, if after they talk, they are still beautiful, or even moreso, that is rare.

16 comments:

sarah g. said...

thanks again for your wonderful, wonderful scotch!
that was such a blessing!
o, and since you mentioned it,
my dad went to the mountain equipment co-op place today n' got some fancy walking sticks!

i cant wait to get old either! its gonna be fun to be a grandma, eh?!
(o, well grandpa in your case!)
.sarah.

Stacy said...

David...
A) Change your bio... you're not in Ontario
B) I like the background
C) Icky post. But it hides its ickiness well. :)

Bethany said...

Hey, Paso...fun times on your blog..I answered your question you left on my blog. You're a DEEP thinker... ;)

Bethany said...

I wrote a response!! I'm getting the hang of this blog-o-sphere!

Magdalen said...

Hey Sarah, I think we should be old ladies together. What do you say?
Personally, I'm most looking forward to sitting on a porch in a rocking chair, one of my 33 cats purring on my lap, and pretending to be deaf.
see ya tomorrow brother.

Magdalen said...

oh yeah, I'm digging the new layout. very cool.

thomasw said...

hmm, regarding talking to women:>
"...if you are going after a woman, remember your whip! For a woman there is one solution to all existential queries: being pregnant." Do you recall who wrote that???

regarding being grey: both ramone and i are getting more and more aged. Though the effects are particularly noteworthy on me, but i don't think it makes me 'feel' closer to Christ. If there is one thing I have learned as I have aged, it is about how I need to trust in the mercy of our God to know Christ and Him crucified.

heather said...

Just remember, gray hair (or pipes, or scotch) does not, necessarily, signify wisdom. The young can have wisdom too...

Simply Victoria said...

Sure, I notice girls who are pretty, but if they start talking, that can be dangerous for all involved. but, if after they talk, they are still beautiful, or even moreso, that is rare.


It's rare? really? where are you hanging out?

pasivirta said...

well...

pasivirta said...

what I mean is that while I was at trinity, I knew a lot of people. and some were pretty, until they started talking. that happens a lot. I am not meaning anyone I hang out with now, its just a phenomenon I have noticed, that girls can be pretty, and then change as soon as they start talking.

elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
elizabeth said...

hmmm

it is not just girls who may have poor words may come out of mouth...

i think i know what you are meaning -- that beauty is from the soul within -- as in -- one can be strikingly beautiful but if they do not love -- then this beauty can turn to uglyiness.

just remember that if that is what you are saying that it is not gender-specific.

i do apprediate you and that you seek to articulate your thoughts and what you are seeing.

and, as a dear friend of mine often says, one cannot see beauty unless the soul of the beholder also have beauty within them;

therefore dave, you too are beautiful... as i think all of us here know...

take care.

Stacy said...

but Elizabeth, is he beautiful before or after the words come out of his mouth.

;)

Just wonderin'...

Heh!

pasivirta said...

hey!

Linty said...

*blink*

Was that me? I know I told someone at St. Herman's I was excited about my grey hairs. Or is this just a funny coincidence?