2.14.2006

Walking in Memphis...

So. many. things.

I got back some CD's I had been missing, I have class today, and I have a better phone than I used to.

I had a good chat through a few topics yesterday with Biss, and that was good. we talked about prayer at one point, and about how its for our discipline, and
we talked about the merits and dangers of repeating prayers that we had not paid attention to while we were praying.

I went over to cut up some meat that she was making for her husband, she is a vegetarian and hates touching meat, and I used to work in a butcher shop, and its good to hang out, so we talked and I sliced steak up. it was for bul go gee or something, its korean. anyways.

I went to the canucks game the other night, it was so rad.

here is your question of the day, for as much as you reveal on your blog, think about how much you don't. oh the power of the media!

in any case, happy tuesday.

lent is still coming, in case you forgot, but make sure to eat meat this week, I am going to Memphis to visit Stacy, but she knows the real reason I am coming is for the Ribs. oh, that and Elvis.

6 comments:

elizabeth said...

will pray for you as you travel dave. take care :)

cathedral dweller said...

i hear ya about repeating prayers that I did not pay attention to. some people say, "Who cares, do it anyway and just keep pulling yourself back into attention. What is most important is that you JUST DO IT. It is discipline." That's what I used to do and it was good because I am horribly undisciplined and did not pray. But now I'm at a point where just doing it isn't enough because if I just do the prayers and my heart is nowhere to be found then I think I start to sound like a clanging cymbal.

Well ... i happen to think it is partially true that we should just dod it. Lately, however, I've been changing things a bit (with the direction of my confessor). I've been instructed to do a few less written prayers to make time to use my own words and pray the Jesus prayer. The Jesus prayer is good. It helps me focus and then when I do the written prayers I'm more able to let them inside me.

If you're having a hard time paying attention during prayer, talk to Fr. Lawrence about it. He'll have some good suggestions.

It's hard to pay attention.

Listening to Sufjan and thinking of you Dave. God bless you and keep you safe.

Matthew Francis said...

"And my traveling companions
Are ghosts and empty sockets
I'm looking at ghosts and empties
But I've reason to believe
We all will be received in Graceland...

And I see losing love
Is like a window in your heart
Everybody sees you're blown apart
Everybody feels the wind blow

In Graceland, in Graceland
I'm going to Graceland
For reasons I cannot explain
There's some part of me wants to see Graceland."

Good ole' Paul Simon.... Have fun in the South, Dave. Say hi to Stacy from me and Krista.

myn said...

i totally understand how the mind can wander during prayer...praying at all has been a huge struggle for me...still is. but i agree that the Jesus Prayer is a good one. love it. when i was at the retreat in Edmonton back in November, Fr.John held a Jesus Prayer group and it was awesome.

have fun down south Dave!

Magdalen said...

Yeah, prayers are hard. Almost everyone I know has trouble being present in their prayers. There's no one method for changing that, either, it depends on you. Re-reading the Narnia series and Screwtape Letters actually helped me a lot, it gave me a perspective and, oddly enough, a level of reality that helped me to focus.
Have fun, we're praying for you travelling. Say hi to Muriel at the Hollywood, and don't forget your blue suede shoes.

"She said: 'Tell me, are you a Christian, child?' and I said 'Ma'am I am tonight!"

thomasw said...

hehe going to the land where johnny cash roamed wild and free. it would be very cool checking out hendersonville. have fun with the stac0 and her friendly friends!