12.07.2005

theory and practice of love

So, I had an epiphany last night (unrelated, make sure to read matthew francis's comments on the last post, great thoughts...)

Another reason I love st. herman's and orthdoxy is that it has shown me a viable example of both the theory and practice of Christian love.
many evangelical churches I have been to or belonged to spoke very eloquently about how we ought to love, but were not themselves a living example of a community like that. others were not even eloquent about it, nor were examples of that love. rarely was there an example of someone who loved and couldn't articulate why. I always remember Pastor Doug Braun, from the mission alliance church, he is amazing.
but, at st. herman's, and among other orthodox people I know, there is both the desire and ability to talk about how to love and live, but there is also a growing relationship within the church. St. Herman's especially has a group of people willing to be vulnerable and honest to the end of loving and being loved. It is a community that manifests Christ in word and deed.
of course we are not perfect, and I haven't been there in a while so I can sort of speak from afar, but I hear the words and works of love, and I also experience them. I often hear people talk about what it means to be a Christian, but their lives reflect something very different than what they are talking about. they don't even realize that there is a disconnect between what they assent to intellectually and how they live.
I have had conversations with people who are Christians, are very concerned with what it means to be saved, technically, but seem unconcerned with knowing what love actually is. it was sad.
people at St. Herman's seem concerned with both knowing the stuff, and living it out. I think it is orthodoxy that pushes us towards a holistic life, one that doesn't really allow us to compartmentalize our selves.

I am eating my coconut lentil soup, it is good, but really spicy. I put lots of cayenne in it. haaaaaaa. hot. only a few days before I come home!

I want to thank you all for commenting here, it has meant a lot to me that you care enough to do that. I know its electronic, but it helps me remember who I am and how I got here.
I am so grateful.
When I go back home, I will likely post a bit less, be a little busier, with actually having a job, going to church a little more, and friends within physical proximity. but of course I will still need to rant, and I do love hearing from those outside the lower mainland, of which there are a growing number.


peace and love to you,


7 comments:

kimberley said...

big hugs dave. it will be such a good day when we see you.

travelling mercies,

elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
elizabeth said...

well... the main thing is to rememember that no church is perfect and to always fight (in the deep positive sense) for the church you attend, for it's growth...

i know you have alluded various times to not posting as much when you are home, but seek to remember the bigger picture of things, including the Orthodox church universal and also remember us, who are indeed not living in the lowermainland. :)

elizabeth said...

oh bother. i really can spell... well sometimes. when i can REMEMBER.

Ed Doerksen said...

again Dave, safe driving and I pray that you will make it home safely. I still wish I was going with out, how I miss the west.

Again thanks for coming to my place and don't forget that when you have to return to Sudbury that you come and see me again.

Take care, love you buddy.

Simply Victoria said...

we will be so happy and grateful to have you back among us!

Paul said...

Oh jeepers, now I will have to hide the scotch....

Um... It's not in Dan's shoe.