12.05.2005

December 5th 2006 (this one is so full of ADD influence...}

first, a happy birthday to my beautiful and rad sister, Tessa ,who is now the proud dweller of the twenty-something generation. way to go!

her and I apparently will be having a rad housewarming party sometime in January. come one come all.

oh, and is the new years snowshoeing camping trip still going on? what is shakin? talstras ,moes's, whoever else? speak now or, soon, or forever hold your peace.

I will be on the road in less than a week, monday morning at least. So excited. I am reading Gadamer, and understanding! who does that? apparently this school thing is working. of course I am here and not in my MACINTOSH version of word. go to jessannstevens xanga and see the funny thing on emergent churches. but beware, her blog carries a parental guidance suggestion. she likes to cuss. but don't we all?

and... I had a dream last night that I was an assassin. I watched mr and mrs smith last night with my cousins. it was rad. so clever and well written. the focus on their marriage was really cool. and the way that their forced vulnerability eventually made their relationship much healthier than it had been is remeniscent of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotles mind. apparently Hollywood is recognizing the fact that we humans are broken and need to love each other as we are. Haper's magazine has an article in it about how Hollywood is becoming quite the Christian place. hmmm. I doubt that, but who knows. can't wait to see narnia. it will be a good time.

okay. back to gadamer. anyways. happy sinterklass day to all of my calvinist brethren, whom I must ask, did you know that you celebrate the saints? i didn't realize it, but eat some oly bullen for me.

I went to liturgy today at a greek church, and I was so thankful, because I missed most of liturgy yesterday due to driving my cousins to their church, but I also get to go to liturgy tonight at my antiochian church here in london. I don't know the rules, but I suspect we are not to partake in two liturgies in one day, stacy said it was a different liturgical day. I will ask. but it was a blessing this morning. we'll see.

yes. so hyper. so writing. so coming home. so living in langley with Tessa. see, she even has a cool name.

interesting things here, my sister has such a creative name, and mine is so typical and christian. I love my name, don't get me wrong, but my parents clearly grew in stages.

David Michael Pasivirta back in '80, and in '85 they gave my sister Tessa Marjory Ellen Pasivirta. what a handle. I dig them both. very cool. I share my names with some cool people, so its all good. and goodness, my sisters middle name is Marge. Marge! how cool. now I am laughing out loud. we should call her Marge. our grandma marge (who she is named for) is so cute. she always makes fun of me in a playful way. and shush's her husband "Oh Paul!" its so cute. they are so wonderful. I love being with them, Grandpa talks all the time, and tells great stories. just like me. well, I have to work on it. but anyways. they live where there is lots of snow right now. manitoulin island.

the last time I was with them, I walked around in the snow with my grandpa, and we talked about trees, and snow, and bears, and old friends. he is a man who has been an example of Godliness that I look up to and have as long as I can remember, because he not only talks about God all the time, but also exudes love. He and my grandma are the pinnacle of hospitality givers. always having company. I htink that is where I got my love of guests. and my parents are that way too. anyways. that was quite a rant. back to Gadamer.



peace.

currently drinking, cranberry pop. to be clever, I could just say its cran. oh. so in. so hip. I am going to quit my job and go. its good advice .

10 comments:

Magdalen said...

lather, rinse, repeat. Got it.
Completely unrelated: May I suggest that you cut back on the coffee? It's not good for you.
Hope you have a good last week back east, and a safe drive back west. Stay well, brother.

m.a.r.g.a.r.e.t. said...

when you say 'liturgy' does it, in the Orthodox sense, imply Eucharistic celebration?

pasivirta said...

yes indeed. There is a eucharistic celebration every day at the greek church, which is cool. I will go tomorrow too probably, I was at holy transfiguration tonight, it was cool. I love church at night, candles etc.

RW said...

I checked out Jessica's blog and that whole emerging church is kind of frightening. What is the alternative? That is kind of strange as well. Does this exist in Canada as well?

elizabeth said...

i'm so glad you went... yes... it is beautiful, small w. candles... and lots of love of the saints... i will be at my london church in 2 weeks for vespers and divine liturgy... and then i will be at my MI/GR church... st. nicholas :) we are so lucky that we have the Church...

Marco said...

dude, what do you mean "happy Sinterklaas to all my Calvinist brethren"? What does being Calvinist have to do with Sinterklaas?

We all got sweets in our shoes last night, even though we forgot to leave a carrot for his horse. And I think none of us is Calvinist.

pasivirta said...

well, I think there is a remote possibility that in your case it is a culturally inhereited thing since you live in THE NETHERLANDS, where calvinism had a fairly strong influence. I said it because I knew all of my friends who are calvinist are dutch, and they will be getting candy in their shoes. and they did. and you too. I was mostly referring to dutch people (or residents of dutch places, like yourself) anyways. Its good to see you marco, electronically or otherwise. did you think I was inferring that all dutch people are calvinist? generally that is true, but I do know some people who are dutch and orthodox.

Matthew Francis said...

A long and rambling comment on the "Emerging Church"

Certainly both of those were good for a chuckle, yet (like you mention, Ramona) also a cause of concern for some. The interesting thing to me in a lot of the two conflicting church cultures described in that you can see a fair bit about them from just a quick aesthetic survey. I was surprised they didn't mention soul-patches!

Basically all the "emerging church" conversations, communities have arisen in the last 15 years or so as a response or reaction to various forms of Protestant Christianity that have been perceived as constrictive.

I was very much involved myself in the "emerging church" movement during my journey to becoming Orthodox, particularly as an associate pastor here, so have experienced both the best and the worst of this church culture. I wonder how many others out there reading Dave's blog are currently or used to be involved with this movement?

There is a lot of diversity in this stream of Christian thought... some of these folks are much closer to Orthodoxy than others. The best, are - unknowingly oftentimes - seeking to be reconnected to Holy Tradition (though they often don't realize this is to be found most fullsomely in the Orthodox Church). But in the the process, they can risk end up creating a sort of mix-and-match spirituality based around the Christian story. "Let's bring in a bit of this Continental philosophy, and this art movement... let's do this, let's do that..." At the time, I thought that was what it meant to be "apostolic," in the sense of pioneering, yet for me, ultimately it all became profoundly self-referential, Which is, IMHO, the historical meaning and genius of Protestantism. Of course, lots of emerging church leaders who have come from Protestant backgrounds would now reject or distance themselves from historic Protestantism, and liturgically, are interested in much more traditional Christian practices. Many are actually quite interested in Orthodoxy for various reasons...they may like icons, for instance, but would balk at the notions of spiritual protection and authority inherent in the Orthodox hierarchy.

For those emerging folks with few, or ill-qualified leaders or teachers, this is the best they can manage. On the worse end of spectrum are people who are simply abandoning the dogma of the faith for whatever reasons they might have. (I think, for instance, of Doug Pagitt's recent comments on the way Christians have historically talked about the Trinity). Some communities have, from my perspective, MUCH better theological leaders and so on.

From the Canadian perspective, a good place to start to look at this stuff would be www.resonate.ca, which is the Canadian version of emergent, the main US network for these themes.

Brian McLaren (of these guys I like a fair bit), who is one of the main figures in what he calls the "emerging conversation," has a passage on the sidebar of his website right now from "a Serbian Bishop" who is actually St. Nikolai of Zica, the "twentieth century Chrysostom."

In short, this is going to be an increasingly important stream of Christianity for us all to seek to understand... for us as Orthodox, especially... to listen and hear where people are coming from (like the Apostle Peter with Cornelius)... he just listens, and then THEY ASK HIM to tell them the truth, and he does, and then realizes these Gentiles are ready for Baptism. I think, more and more, (regarding the evangelization themes of a few weeks ago) that may be the task of Orthodoxy here...

Hope you don't mind the long comment, Dave!

RW said...

Matthew F,
Thanks for your comment. I will go and check out website and articles you mentioned...

I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying it was a bit disburbing... what I meant was I was disburbed by all the associations... if you are part of the emergent church then you must also like a) b) and c) and if you are not then you fit in this other box over here...

I think it is critical that we listen to what these people are searching for... I didn't even really know this movement existed... what does that say about me. Perhaps a bit of head in the sand thing going on.

Hmm. I am sure I will have lots more questions.

Ed Doerksen said...

Safe driving home Dave. Again I really enjoyed your visit. When you see the rest of the gang, remember them for me and tell them that I say hi.

Take care my friend