11.16.2005

protein and Sid!

here it comes, here it comes again. I love the memory of the discomfort I currently feel, it reminds me of another reason orthodoxy spoke to me so strongly.

let me give my fast/feast example.


Sid. Sid is the context for this memory, Sid and his apartment. I will sorely miss this happening, as it was/is a dear memory.

last year, at this time, we were all very hyper about orthodoxy, and about learning about what it means to fast by participtating in the fast, even though half of us at least were not even catechumens yet.

I remember this same hunger that I now have, I just ate, but it wasn't filling the way a protein or fat rich meal is, and I woke up hungry this morning. even though I have lots of food, its a lot of empty carbs, anyways. on sundays, when we have a fish/wine/oil day, we would go to church, eat lunch with everyone and stay and talk and have catechumen class until about three, and then we still hadn't had enough of each other, so we would go to sid's house and hang out, rent a movie, drink some beer, or on one occasion, zeke taught sid and I how to drink scotch, the lesson being reiterated sometime later by gregory. anyways, there were usually at least 8 or so of us, some in the living room talking, some in the kitchen watching sid cook up some homemade beer batter fish that he had gotten while working on a fishing boat, and we all had some fish and talked about fasting and orthodoxy, and then we would watch some canadiana, like Atanarjuat, The Fast Runner, or argue about watching Farley mowat NFB films, or something. it was great. we also got together out in coquitlam once, I remember watching SAVED! with a few who were just finding orthodoxy, and a few who had been there a lot longer, and I was confused as to why they saw it as not very funny. I am beginning to see it, I think.

anyways. I haven't talked to Sid since the wedding, and one of the things I look forward to when I get home is the bone crushing bear hug that I expect, and his no-nonsense zeal. It is so refreshing and inspiring. Sid has such a great attitude. all of you st. herminians, make sure you tell him so, and give him a hug for me when you see him next. if this works properly, he should be overwhelmed by hugs next sunday! anyways.

I have a friend at school here, we hang out from time to time, its cool, and she is bringing vegan thai food in support of the advent fast! how cool is that? (I'll tell you, its very cool)

12 comments:

Ed Doerksen said...

if you're coming to visit Dave, let me know is you're fasting or not so that I don't mess up your experience with fasting.

take care and hope to see you soon.

biss said...

I miss Sid.

kimberley said...

Yeah Sid IS known for his hugging power. I'll be sure to give him a good one from you.

Biss, you're back safe and sound? How was the meander home?

Matthew Francis said...

I thought SAVED! was pretty funny.

Matthew Francis said...

In a lampoonish sort of way...

pasivirta said...

yeah, so did I. I own a VHS copy of it, but I think I have seen it enough times now. I enjoyed it, but the end was SO weak and pluralistic.

Matthew Francis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matthew Francis said...

Hey there, sorry I messed up that last post beyong comprehension, so I deleted it...

Yeah, the ending is totally ridiculous. The film does have some strong satirical moments, though, like the scene where Mandy Moore's character throws her Bible at the other girl (the one who's pregnant), and that girl simply picks it up and says "this is NOT a weapon!" Precisely.

Stacy said...

I have never even heard of SAVED.

Regarding Sid... never met him but I'm a big fun of people with great hugging power so give him my regards as well (speaking of, I just got a great hug from my priest. The fun part about that is that I got all wrapped up in his robe. It's like a great hug and a warm blanket all at once--and the warm blanket part is important... I'm freezing!!! It dropped 30 degrees over night! I don't suppose I'm going to get much sympathy with that from the Canadians, though.)

Enjoy the vegan Thai food.

Stacy said...

I'm a big FAN... (stupid typos)

RW said...

I am always amazed at how many bags of potato chips show up at church on Sundays when the fast begins....makes me chuckle... one time there were nacho chips with "real cheese" - the should we eat them or should we not debate ensued. I ate them.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being promoted to Captain of the Laurentian Karate Klub. I always wanted to date a martial artist. Let's exchange numbers and get married. You're a Buddhist, right?