11.30.2005

la biblioteque

J'aime la biblioteque, parce qu'il ya des beaucoup des choses des livres, et j'aime bien des livres. l'autre semaine, Fr. John donne a moi les livres qui sont tres bien. Je dit a il beaucoups des 'merci'
J'avais besoin de continue pratique mon francais, et si je pratique ici, mon ami avoir aidez correctez moi, et donc j'appris plus bon.

anyways. It started snowing again, but not much. not near as much as vancouver. our weather is not nearly as dramatic as you guys are getting these days. I am working through comparing the conversion of Fr. Zossima in the brothers karamazov to the description of the liturgy that Fr. Schmemann gives us, specifically the language of freedom and how freedom is necessary in both for the process of salvation. One of the many things that drew me to orthodoxy was the emphasis on the freedom of the person to make choices that matter, coupled with the necessity of choosing in a communal context, so that we are living our faith as a part of the body of Christ.

Its a bit hard to get started, I haven't written a paper in a while. a year and a half it seems. thats okay.

maybe two weeks and I will be in vancouver, close to that anyways. you must forgive my counting down, but I am excited.
I talked with Fr. Lawrence today, and it was great. very encouraging and very comforting, it reminded me a lot of being at home.


home. what a word.

2 comments:

Ed Doerksen said...

Dave, your description of Orthodoxy and freedom reminds me of the philosophy and teachings of Pelagius. Our conversation has left me thinking.

I am so glad that you were able to drop down to see me. Thanks buddy.
I really appreciated your visit.

Again say hi to everyone for me. Safe driving, I wish I was going with you.

Paul said...

symbols for accents (any better ideas, please forward):

/ = aigu
\ = grave
^ = circonflexe
" = tre/ma
, = ce/dille

corrections:
"bibliothe\que"
"parce qu'il y a"
between the commas reads "Because there are some lots of some things from books"
In French, "Father" and "Fr." become "Pe\re" and "P."
"P. John (Jean?) m'a donne/ des livres." Just like in English, "les" = "the" and you wouldn't say "He gave me the books" unless you had already specified which books.
"bien" = "well"; "bon" = "good". Books are good, not well (unless they are recovering from bird flu).

"J'avais besoin de continue/ de pratiquer mon franc,ais" means "I had needed to keep practicing my French," but evidently you still need to do this, so you should have written, "J'ai besoin." :)

"mon ami avoir aidez correctez moi..." ouch. sorry. You probably meant "mon ami va m'aider a\ corriger" but that's not very good either. "Mon ami va m'aider et va me corriger." Or, "Mon ami va m'aider a\ le corriger." ("le" referring to your French.)

"et donc j'appris plus bon." "And so I learn gooder." --> "Et donc j'apprendrai (I will learn) meilleur." Hmm. Still not happy. I would have said, "Mon ami va me corriger, et c,a m'aidera a\ m'ame/liorer."