7.23.2005

media via

I don't have appropriate words to describe my astonishment with "come on feel the illinoise" sufjan stevens is consistently one of the most amazing songwriter/orchestrator/musicians I have ever come across. the orchestrations are not overbearing, yet they are lush and full. the musical context for the incredibly thoughtful, balanced approach to lyrics is an appropriate blend of form and content, such that the message is a seamless whole. I have only heard the first four or five tracks, and I am enamoured with this music to such a degree, I was not aware of its possibility. yes, I am over the top, but thats my middle name, right?

dang.

I will be hard pressed to shut up about this, happily, this discovery coincides with a live performance by said musical wunderkind.

Sorry nate dogg, I guess we are not doing the seattle show...maybe you could come to richards anyways? tickets are an isssue too I guess eh?

yeah, tessa, Des has wanted to do clothes for a while. work it so it works well for both you and he, and you will be in business. there is your tuition maybe? I mean, not right away of course.


okay, so now sufjan is singing about cancer with a slight lilt, and maybe I am biased, but I know the song is sad, and having a lilt does not imply irreverence I don't think. music is so contextual, its so hard. at the bottom of this post I will put my MA thesis proposal, in case anyone is interested, it may be boring, but I am so excited about school, and its about music and interpretation, so it may actually be relevant to your life, and when I publish my book you will want to read it and hype it, so I am going to start now.



I got to seattle this morning at about 1030, which was sweet, I left blaine at about 9, so it was just under 2 hours to get here. st. herman's taxi does well, but it made a weird noise when I got here.
Jessica is out for a run, so I may go to the bookstore, and trader joes, depending on how long she is gone for. bonnie, the dog here, is having a dream, and almost talking in her sleep.


I love life! its so amazing. I am almost done cutting grass, I had a great day at work with Dave V we churched it up.

yes, my days as a slash n dash man are coming to an end. no more squint-n-go, no more clutch cookouts, no more meal cal,

soon will be Dave Matthews band at the gorge, soon will be sufjan, soon will be camping, soon will be baptism, soon will be travelling, and today, there is peace and learning and growth, and a pretty girl who will come home sweaty after running. awesome. lesya, you are right.


oh, and for all you fans, the illinoise cd I am listening to has superman on it! yeah yeah!



Media Via.
The truth of music is both interpretive and objective.

Polemical arguments that arise regarding the objectivity of a certain piece of music and its necessary interpretation are unnecessary. Many listeners, uneducated and academics alike, will listen to music and interpret it differently, depending not only on their historical context, but the context of the moment, because the nature of music is not only historical, empirical, and temporal, but it is immaterial, and therefore contains an element of mysticism. Instead of either/or rhetoric, we must come to a middle ground that includes all aspects of the experience that is music.


The Middle Road travels through;
a)the enlightenment project and its subsequent modernist assumptions
in the context of music theory pedagogy in the academy, (schencker and reductionist philosophy)
b) the duality of public/private truth in the
context of music criticism, referring to the value of verifiable facts vs. personally viable truth, or notation and interpretation.
c) the notion of festival and spectacle and the shift in composition and performance
practice in post renaissance music history, noting the shift from music as sacred work towards sacred text becoming a form of entertainment, the oxymoron of a 'concert mass'.


The two areas of study will be Music and philosophy, with historical theology making a guest appearance.

4 comments:

Graves said...

Your life is busy friend. Oh!!! Fr. Sebastion (Beatitudes)emailed me back and I'm calling him tomorrow, life is so weird. Say hi to that pretty girl for me.

geniuslaiesia said...

cool.
are your profs musique savvy?
moi, j'attends de te voir.

sarafn82jrmartinez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
D said...

PASIVIRTA!!!

I was just writting a paper, and you know how you can get so much done that you ahve been meaning to do but never have the time... and then you are supposed to be writting a paper and so you have the time... Anyway, just found your blog and it's good to... well I guess it's good to read your blog :)

Danamalia
danandnikki01@hotmail.com
P.S. you should allow anonymous comments because I had to make a blog in order to post this... and I will never use my blog!
... I just wanted to say hi!