3.27.2005

run away! run away!

today I worked. I was at church until three, as per usual ( I love it so much I can't leave until everyone else is gone, I even vacuum the floor, way to teach your son to be a good guest mom and dad-yes they even read this from time to time)

and this person I have never met called me and asked me if I wanted to work. I have a connection with her and the organization, called cannexus I think or connexus or something. anyways, what they do is emergency intervention or something. I mean, it didn;t seem like that big of an emergency to me, but I guess for the kids. They had run away from home in gibsons ( a little town up the coast a ways ) to come to the big city. they were like 15 ish, three of them, and they were at this office, how they ended up there I don't know, but they were there after leaving gibsons last night, and so I went there, and drove them to the ferry, walked on with them, and once I met their foster mom I got back on the ferry and drove home.
now. I love people, and I love jobs that involve people. I can't believe I shovelled concrete for so long when I could have been working with people. I don't care if I make less money ( I do have a loan to pay off, but still ) because I get to interact with people. now, one of the girls was really manipulative and whiny, she threatened a few times to leave and so I let her go, I knew she would come back, and she did. it was like out of a movie. so we sparred a bit, and I let her win when it was necessary, and I learned a little about humility, but I am still confused about the necessity of controlling children for their own good, especially in situations like that. it was nice because the people I work for said if the kids bolt, not to worry, just let the cops know and let them handle it. it was bizarre. anyways, aside from trying to wade through manipulation attempts here and there, it went off without a hitch. who doesn't want to work with people? I don't get it. I mean, to get paid to relate to people? as if that is not the best deal in the world. granted, they are a little harder to relate to than average joe or mediocre bill, but so what? anyways. it was sweet.

a good way to spend a theologically confusing day.I hope it was blessed for all of you, I trust the heavens were rejoicing too.


I am having an amazing meal right now. I learned today that its normal or intended that we are always just a little hungry during lent, and that is fine, but I have not been able to eat properly until today. I made a great soup and I am going to have a beer, since it is easter, sunday, and sort of the annunciation, and because I have one in the fridge. so my soup, let me explain, its got lentil curry, corn chowder and some textured vegetable protein. its sweet. and the beer? shaftebury cream ale, nectar of the gods.

anyways, I am still SO excited to get a place in langley, so close to church. oh, and I will likely go to church with my family soon, fear not.


mercy and peace

6 comments:

biss said...

sounds really cool, dave.
email me about the "theologically confising" day?

biss said...

who can type well at midnight anyway?

Dirk Fung said...

Sounds like you are in for some good times.

If you'd like a few more, I'd highly recommend you visit my blog. www.iamdirkfung.blogspot.com

It's addictive though, I warn you.

Happy easter,

Dirk Fung.

Magdalen said...

Yeah, meeting people and working with them and knowing this is just glorious. That's why I love my job so much. I get to meet new people every day, and it's fabulous. And, this being good old Slurrey, you can meet some really interesting types. Last night this couple came in, and they were really odd. I'm really sure the lady was on something, and they said some very strange things, but I could just see her heart, and they were beautiful people. It made my week.
See ya later.

pasivirta said...

nice, its always good to see the beauty beneath whatever we pile on top of it. soon I too will be employed in the mighty metropolis of surrey,and may actually be able to drop in for a meal sometime. of course after the fast, on which we had a good catechumenal instruction from your pops. good thinker that guy is. later,

pasivirta said...

nice, its always good to see the beauty beneath whatever we pile on top of it. soon I too will be employed in the mighty metropolis of surrey,and may actually be able to drop in for a meal sometime. of course after the fast, on which we had a good catechumenal instruction from your pops. good thinker that guy is. later,